Integrate records and improve patient safety
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust
From maternity services in Lancaster to oncology in Barrow- In-Furness, University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust (UHMBT) serves a widely dispersed population spread across more than 1,000 square miles of North West England. To achieve its goal of delivering higher quality, safer patient care, UHMBT knew it needed to move away from its paper-based record-keeping and towards a digital records system which would ensure that medical professionals could access patient information from anywhere.
UHMBT is a National Health Service (NHS) Foundation Trust that provides services to more than 350,000 people in South Cumbria and North Lancashire via hospitals and clinics in the Morecambe Bay area. In 2010, UHMBT became the first NHS trust to implement DXC Technology’s Lorenzo Electronic Patient Record (EPR) system, which has been providing numerous benefits ever since.
The digital transformation is key to UHMBT’s “paper-lite” initiative, a programme intended to greatly reduce the amount of paper being used in the hospital setting.
While paper cannot be completely eliminated, the Dedalus solutions enables most of the pertinent patient information to be recorded and disseminated electronically — tightly integrating disparate patient data into a single record.
Dr. Colin Brown, Chief Clinical Information Officer for UHMBT, says, “We needed to digitise our records to be able to fundamentally provide the right information at points of care for the clinician looking after the patients so that we could make timely decisions, and that better information would lead to better decisions and better outcomes.”
Increased patient safety
- Provide a single, integrated patient record; greatly reduce paper-based record-keeping
- Allow patient records to be accessed electronically from anywhere in the hospital and beyond
- Gain the ability to tap into patient data and use it to improve outcomes
- Centrally store records via Lorenzo, Dedalus’s electronic patient record (EPR) system
- Tightly integrate disparate patient information within the Lorenzo system
- Implement interactive visual dashboards providing real-time patient information.
- Access to patient records from anywhere, increased efficiency, improved patient safety
- Ability to give clinicians a real-time view of the patient from any location in the hospital.
- Time saved for doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals.